Michael Gregory

Back to main menu
...................................................................................................................



1: Name?  Mike Gregory

2: Age? 
Old

3: Resides? 
North of the Brighton Shire

4: Swimming Highlights? 


  • 2010 English Channel Solo
  • 2011 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim
  • 2013 Port Phillip Bay Swim (First swimmers to complete the crossing without a shark cage. 6th and 7th swimmers overall, with my mate Andrew Vidler)
  • 2013 English Channel Solo
5: Biggest influence and coach? John Van Wisse & Robert Butcher 

6: Swimming Idol? 
Kevin Murphy (King of the Channel). Proud to consider him a friend and mentor


7: Pool or Ocean? Ocean wins every time

8: How many kms a week? 40 kms (build when a specific goal arises)


9: Longest swim and how many hours in the water? 
Port Phillip Bay Swim. 16 hours 20 minutes

10: Favorite place you have swam?
 Manhattan Island and Liberty Island) and Cerberus (Half Moon Bay). The people are sincere, warm and friendly and equally share my passion for open water swimming

11: Coldest place you have swam and temp? 
Middle Brighton Baths in 2011. Water temp was 7 degrees and atmospheric temp was 2 degrees. 

12: Roughest swim eg. Wave height and wind speed? 
The Brighton Baths in July '14 in gale force SW winds with waves washing just underneath the rear boardwalk. Got out after swimming into a cowl from an outboard motor that split my forehead. It was too big for JVW to enter the water that day.  

13: Swimming goals?
 To complete a double crossing of the English Channel

14: What or who motivates you? People telling me that I can't do it.


15: How much is :

  • Physical? 10%
  • Mental? 90%
16: Favorite saying? "No one does it alone"

17: Biggest fear swimming eg. cold jellyfish, sharks etc


I'm not fearful of anything animal, mineral or vegetable in the marine environment but I do fear not achieving my goals. 

18: Swimming close calls?
 

When I was 7 years old, I jumped into the deep end of a local swimming pool and then remembered I couldn't swim. I am grateful to the couple who helped me out as I was surely going to drown

19: Tips for other swimmers?


Relax. Don't forget to enjoy yourself and the journey. 

20: What would you eat and drink during a swim?


Multi dextrin ; warm peppermint tea and GU's (carbohydrate gels). Banana's for a power snack. 

21: Worst place you have swam?


Port Melbourne through a marine oil slick.

22: Worst injuries?


Rotator cuff strain.

23: Favorite food, drink, music, movie and holiday destination?

  • Food - Anything that someone goes to the trouble of preparing for me
  • Music - Eclectic and broad. Nick Cave is a favourite.
  • Movie - Independent releases
  • Holiday - Yes thanks.

24: What do you think of when you are in the water for hours?


Family and favourite music. On long swims I count my stroke (3 strokes = 1 count). I do this up to 100 and then go back to zero), If I loose count, I start again from the last number I can remember.

25: Where is one place you haven’t or would like to swim?


Catalina (to complete the triple crown) 

26: 3 people you would invite to dinner?


Nick Cave, Malcolm Turnball and Stephen Fry 

27: Cold water tips?


For recreation?, just dive in regularly and enjoy it; it's addictive. 


28: Toughest competitor?


Myself

29: Diet and how much is weight a factor on long distance swims?


Put on at least 10% of your normal weight if you're planning to swim the English Channel. 


30: Pet hate?


Intolerance towards others beliefs and differences 

31: Biggest thrill? 
Swimming with my Black Ice mates
32:Favorite sport besides swimming?

Too hard! Surfing, running, golf, aussie rules...

33: Who would you like to sit next to on a plane:? 
Prefer an empty seat to listen to music and catch up on movies. The "President of Black Ice" for alternative light entertainment. 

34: Car you drive?

Land Rover Discovery 

35: Next swimming challenge?


Double crossing of the English Channel


36: Occupation?


Sales and Marketing Director

37: Pet?

9 x Gold Fish

38: Reasons for attempting the Double Channel?
I enjoy pushing myself further in distance each time I complete a long swim. I'm excited to find out what my limits are and then coming up with  strategies and actions to push further. I want to see just how far I can go.

...................................................................................................................

Back to main menu





No comments: